Friday, February 29, 2008

The Constant

After last night's episode of LOST, I posted a comment about the editing of the show. In fact, during the show, I remember saying "wow" out loud during one of Desmond's "transitions", and the phone call at the end, the quick cuts back and forth between Desmond and Penny, clearly the emotional heart of the episode, is not likely to be forgotten soon. So when I woke up this morning, I was very surprised to get an email (through youtube) from Emmy Award Nominee (for LOST - Through the Looking Glass) Mark Goldman.

Are you the BubbaCoop who said "If that doesn't get an Emmy for editing, nothing should." about the Lost ep "The Constant" over at DarkUFO? If so, I couldn't agree more. And thanks for noticing!

Mark J. Goldman

and then his follow-up to my reply:

Well, thanks Mark. I'm thrilled with everyone's reactions to the episode. There was some discussion about using a very subtle visual effect on the transitions, but from the moment I read the script, I told Damon Lindelof that I felt the transitions should be clean. Luckily, everyone liked them that way, so while we did a little experimenting with visual effects, they never went anywhere. It was great fun to do things you normally would never do -- cutting in the middle of a line, for ex. Jack Bender did a bang up job in shooting the ep., of course. And where would I be without Ian's heartbreaking performance? But I spent hours shaving frames here and there on the phone call, and it's probably my favorite scene that I've cut from the series. So I appreciate your appreciation!

Glad you liked the show.

Mark Goldman

No comments: