Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Sword by Bryan M. Litfin

Maybe I shouldn't be publicizing this too much, but LibraryThing.com has an "Early Reviewer" program through which publishers distribute free advance copies of their books to readers who agree to write reviews. I believe the recipients are chosen (at least in part) by computer, but readers get to chose which books they'd be interested in reading (out of around 100 titles, with thousands of copies available, many physical copies, but sometimes e-books.) The more titles a LibraryThing member has reviewed, the greater the chance of snagging a book from the newest monthly offerings.

That said, I was excited to read the description of the new book The Sword. In fact, I thought it unlikely to get that specific book, so I had it pre-ordered from Amazon (release date is the end of April), but then canceled it when I found out I was getting an advance proof copy for free, which I received about 2 weeks before the release date. Now, far be it for me to complain about a free book, but the Table of Contents reads "Map - page 11" and page 11 reads "Map to Come." Thankfully, after reading the first 125 pages, I found a copy of the map on the publisher's website that I printed and stuck in, myself.

The first thing that struck me when I got my copy (physical, I don't do e-books) was the centuries-old car nestled between pine trees on the cover. It's clearly incongruous to the rest of the cover, and basically sums up the setting of the novel (the first in a projected trilogy). In the year 2042, most of humanity is wiped out by a supervirus, followed by a nuclear holocaust. Author Bryan Litfin grabs the readers attention from the first page as this virus rapidly eradicates most life on Earth. The prologue reads like a vivid summary of Stephen King's The Stand, followed by a Sarah Connor-esque description of nuclear holocaust (without the cyborgs, of course). Jump about 350 years ahead and, to borrow the author's words, "The world of cars and guns and computers had become, once more, a world of horses and swords and scrolls." As far as I can recall, it's the first fantasy-type novel I've ever read that is specifically set in the future. Although I've characterized it as fantasy, Litfin calls it epic adventure:



He also had a couple of other tidbits to add when I emailed him:

It is pronounced Shi-vice. It is a form of the German word for Switzerland, or Schweiz. (the w is like a v). The novel takes place in the Swiss Alps around the area of Interlaken. The places are all real...mountains, valleys, waterfalls, rivers, etc. The cathedral on the cover is Strasbourg, France.

I love the multiple meanings of this book's title. Ephesians 6:17 tells us to take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. I know these words were not originally written in English, but I find it fascinating that "sword" and "word" are almost identical.

The book ended up not focusing as much on The Bible (found in a cathedral in the Strasbourg cathedral after a series of encounters drives the a farm girl and a military scout far north from their home) as I had expected, but as the author said, this is an action/adventure story. The book they find is the device that drives their experiences, but also spurs personal growth and forgiveness between characters. They suffer a through a chain of challenging circumstances and the story ultimately ends on a cliffhanger, like any beginning of any good trilogy.

Some other reviews I've read compare this book to A Canticle for Liebowitz, which I haven't read, but I now plan to read after snagging a copy from bookmooch.com.

The only real complaint I can make isn't the story, but the publishers choice to bind the book with a laminated cover. These are the covers that separate and peel when it gets warm and humid, and this one has already begun to do that. Hopefully they'll change this before the next installment hits bookshelves in April 2011.

No comments: