Sunday, March 29, 2009

Play it again.

The person at work who has the shift before me on Saturdays had the computer logged into his XM account, which allows him to stream the same channels online that he can get in his car (this was news to me). He left it logged in for me, especially since it looked to be a slow afternoon. I landed on channel 54, "Classic Alternative Hits". It seems weird to me that this music is called classic, since pretty much everything on the channel is mid-90's music like Weezer, Collective Soul, Counting Crows, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Matthew Sweet, Nerf Herder, Oasis, etc. Anyway, a lot of this music I haven't heard for 10 years or so because it's nothing I own on CD. It's really interesting to be hearing it again, kind of like being able to turn on the on a radio station from 1995 as I'm driving home from high school. I don't know how much of the music is actually good and how much just takes me back to that time period.

I experience something similar when I dig out older CDs I haven't listened to in a long time. It's like listening to an album for the first time again, but with all the appreciation that comes from familiarity and without that period of listening to an album several times, getting used to it before you really understand how good it is.

A couple of weeks ago I was using the Genius feature on my iPod and Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode came on. I found myself wondering what people hearing it for the first time on a jukebox in 1958 would have thought. Could they appreciate the fact that what they were listening to would become a sonic icon?



No comments: