Saturday, March 28, 2009

Check, please.

Thursday night I got away from work in time to get to the library 4 minutes before they closed and pick up a book that was on hold. Afterwards I drove across the parking lot to the bank to deposit a check. I shouldn't have had this check in the first place. I accidentally sent it to myself using online bill pay, instead of who I was trying to pay, so I was surprised when it showed up in the mail. I wanted to get it back into the account as soon as I could.

Chase recently installed a new ATM that doesn't use envelopes, but has one slot for checks and another into which the customer can put up to 100 bills for deposit, which will be counted by the machine. When they installed the new machine they apparently installed a new plastic front that goes all the way around, attached to the wall, and with decorative lights along the bottom to create a glow. There's about a 1/32" gap between this plastic moulding and the machine. I pressed the check against the machine to sign the back and it slipped out of my hand and fell straight through this tiny crack. That's it, it was gone. No way to get it back. I called the bank the next day and was told it's essentially in the wall and inaccessible until they replace the ATM front, but that she would put a work order in to have the crack sealed off. Especially since I wasn't the first person to whom this had happened. Not even the first person I know! My mom had the ATM receipt fall into the very same crack, and apparently someone else lost their ATM card. Anyway, they say they're going to solve the problem and I was able to get a stop-payment on the check at no charge.

No comments: