Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It's Electronic

Last night I went to turn on my TV/DVD combo, on which I usually watching something as I fall asleep at night. I've been watching LOST Season 1 because I knew the Blu-ray was coming out this year. I had already sold the DVD set and just wanted to finish last disc before shipping. I hit play, which resumes where I left of. The power light came on and then went right back off. No matter which button I pushed the result was the same. I decided it was dead, but I had to get the DVD out. The drawer wouldn't budge no matter what I tried. Finally I took the back off the TV with a screwdriver. Then I had to unscrew the circuit board/DVD player and slide it out from under the CRT. The only wires I had the luxury of disconnecting were the internal speakers. Then I had to remove about 10 screws from the DVD player cover. I could see the DVD easily, but the player itself was clamped onto the disc from top and bottom. I had to pry up the top stabilizer of the player to get the disc loose, but it scratched the media side as it finally slid out. The disc played fine so I shipped it. Put the TV back together to put it on Craiglist as non-working. Plugged it in one more time and it worked normally. The DVD tray opened and closed every time I tested it. Of course now I'm not comfortable watching DVDs on it.

Next day:
And now it's broken again.

No comments: