Sunday, July 15, 2007

The War

[migrated from myspace blog]



It feels like I don't use this blog remotely the way I started out meaning to, and that I, instead, waste way too much bandwidth reposting things I've found and am excited about. Well, I won't apologize for it (okay, maybe for the headless girlfriend pillow, but that got more comments than any other blog I've done.) But this is something I'm really excited about. The top image pretty much says it all (except for the fact that it's partially narrated by Tom Hanks). Ken Burn, PBS, and 14+ hours of WWII. And not romanticized notions of war as portrayed by Stephen Spielberg, either, but the real stories told by the people who lived them.

(Saving Private Ryan was realis-tic, gritty, and in-your-face, but romanticized just the same. For the record, I happen to love that movie, as well as Band of Brothers, and I'm very much looking forward to its HBO companion piece, The Pacific.)

Back on track, the mini-series starts September 23, and the companion book will be released September 11. The DVDs are even available for pre-order from Amazon ($90 for 14 hours?! LOST will be 23 hours for less than $40).

No comments: