Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Eskimo Sandunes, Terminators

[migrated from myspace blog]

Observant readers may have noted that the name of this blog page is Digital Mirrors and Eskimo Sandunes, and then immediately thought, "What the...?"

An explanation, a reflection on tragedy, a plea for help, a preview, and a rant.

In the summer of 1995 there was a song getting pretty heavy rotation on the alt. rock stations. It was titled Mighty K.C., and it was said to be about the suicide of Kurt Cobain. I thought it was a pretty good song, and I still own the CD because of the rest of the songs on the album. But I think most people have forgotten about the band and don't know the story of what happened between the recording of the album and its release. I recall hearing the song being performed live in the studio by the band that fall, but the guy singing it wasn't the same person. This couldn't have been long after the bus crash that killed the lead singer, bassist, and tour manager of the group, yet the other members tried to forge on. The last song on the album is called Eskimo Sandune. As far as digital mirrors are concerned, that's a dream I had once, and just you wait. They're going to outsell analog mirrors 2:1 before it's all said and done.

Many years ago I read about a music album by a band a can't recall with a title I don't remember. It consisted of 4 records, and the idea was that the listener could play any one of the 4 records on it's own, but if you started any 2, 3, or all 4 of the records simultaneously, the music would sync up and a whole new listening experience could be had. Does anyone know what band or album this is? I haven't been able to figure it out on my own.

Last night I watched the pilot for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I've been really excited about this TV show for quite some time. I liked the pilot, but I'm not convinced that the direction it took at the end is consistent with Terminator canon. I'm suspicious that some of the score used in the episode is recycled Bourne movie music. Anyway, the pilot episode is "out there". I won't tell you how to get it, but it you really want to see it you won't need me to.

What's the deal with billion dollar companies hijacking perfectly good pop songs and brainwashing us so that we can't listen to All Around the World on an Oasis CD without almost literally hearing a voice in our head saying, "Cingular is now the new AT&T"?! And now Luvs is changing a track from Magical Mystery Tour to "All You Need is Luvs"! Enough already.

No comments: