Friday, June 6, 2008

Pens and blogging

[migrated from myspace blog]

As a flight instructor, it's important that I always have a black-ink, fine-tipped pen handy for filling out student logbooks, etc. Lately I've been using a Pentel EnerGel .5mm because a 4 pack was much better priced than a 3 pack of that the ones I was using before. They work well enough, but I felt more comfortable with the Uniball Vision Elite .5mm because they guarantee on the package that they will not leak in flight. I was contemplating switching back today after finally throwing out a couple of old empty Vision Elites I found laying around, and came across an entire web site devoted to "the quest for the perfect pen." Penquest isn't really a website, but a blog, with several pen reviews, and even an article about the pens used on the Daily Show and Colbert Report. I guess there's nothing left to add to the internet. It's all here, already.


I'm wondering what it is about writing a blog that allows people to share things with the entire webernet which they might never be able to say aloud to one person? It's not as if there's a lot of anonymity. That's my actual face at the top of the page. I didn't borrow someone else's for the picture. Even if someone doesn't know me, they could still figure out quite a bit about me if they were the least bit observant. What once may have been written in a journal, perhaps never to be read again is now just out there, archived on an unknown numbers of hard drives just waiting for some 23nd century cultural anthropologist to find and analyze "how they really lived back then." If they can't figure it out given the petabytes of information we're leaving behind, they should maybe get a new job. It's never too early start looking.

No comments: