Thursday, September 6, 2007

Flying Solo

[migrated from myspace blog]

So for the past year I've been on the road to single-ness (end it already!) and one thing has become painfully obvious to me.

Unlike a year ago, I'm content to be single. What I have the problem with is the couple-centric culture. A society that acts like there's no room for a single person. Think about it. If a couple goes out to dinner, who do they invite to go with them? A single person? Even two single people who they clearly are not trying to fix up together? No, it's another couple, unless they're playing matchmaker. Movies, books, TV, music, all about couples. Even the media devoted to following the people creating these forms of entertainment are only interested in one thing. Who's hooking up with whom? By the culture's standards, everyone should be in a relationship, coming out of one, going into one, or looking for a new one, or else there's something wrong with them. "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

My dad is always printing stuff off of the interwebertubes to send to people in his prison ministry (and he wonders why he's always out of ink.) Well, he decided to print me something about "moving on." Okay...I was pretty sure I'd been "moved on" since last year. But one of last things on this list talked about dating. So when he asked me about what he'd printed I told him it didn't apply because I'd already moved on, and have no intention of dating. He said "Why? God created Eve for Adam."

Yeah, look how well that worked out for him. He's got this genetically perfect woman with whom he's spending all of his time...and she doesn't own any clothes, so this guy's definitely not thinking with his brain. In fact, his brain isn't even turned on. So he can hardly be blamed when she comes up to him and tells him to eat something. And what does he get for listening to her? He loses his home and job. And women wonder why we don't listen. Well, at least now you know when we stopped.

No comments: