Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Blazin' Buffalo and Ranch Doritos

[migrated from myspace blog]

In the course of some Thanksgiving grocery shopping I happened upon a new(er) flavor of Doritos I had not seen before. [Repeat subject line here.] I picked up a bag on impulse. I like most "buffalo" flavored foods, and I like Cool Ranch Doritos, so what's not to like?. I guess I was expecting a bit of literal taste interpretation of the name. Like Frank's RedHot with some creamy ranch dressing. But it seems they really did just mix together Cool Ranch with one of the spicy Dorito flavors, so there's not really a creamy flavor at all, and the buffalo portion, while spicy, is only arguable as "buffalo".

The original buffalo sauce was nothing more than Frank's RedHot and melted butter mixed together at Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York. (Pay attention Jessica Simpson. No buffalo meat required.) So until Frito-Lay is prepared to partner up with Frank's to get some real "buffalo" flavor, I'd suggest a more conservative use of the word. That being said, as corn chips go, you could do a whole lot worse (unless you just hate spicy, cool-ranchy flavors, of course, in which case you need help.)

No comments: